Summer Term is the education program that is carried out during the summer outside of fall and spring terms, which aims to increase education capacity and efficiency by taking advantage of the education opportunities of the faculties and vocational schools and to help students graduate in a shorter period of time. However, it’s not considered to be a third semester.
|İKÜ List of 2018-2019 Summer Term Department/Program Based Courses|
Here are the conditions for taking a course and attendance during the Summer Term:
- In the summer term, students may be able to take the courses that they have never taken or have taken but failed, with the purpose of increasing their GPA.
- In the summer term, students may take a maximum of 30 ECTS or 20 national credits if they are subject to the national credit system.
- Students need a GPA higher than 2.00 in order to take a course from the following semesters.
- Class attendance is obligatory in the summer term, in accordance with the relevant regulations.
For the documents explaining the course selection procedures for the İKÜ students who wish to enroll in the summer term, both in English and Turkish:
|Summer Term Payment Procedures Supporting Document|
|Summer Term Course Selection Supporting Document|
Points to take into consideration for İKÜ students who wish to take courses at other higher education institutions;
- The course should not be available in the İKÜ Summer Term curriculum.
- The relevant board needs to have decided with the suggestion of the relevant department/program, taking into consideration the credits and the content of that course.
- The student needs to have re-registered at İKÜ in the Summer Term.
- Both at İKÜ and other higher education institutions, students are only allowed to take a maximum of 30 ECTS credits or 20 national credits if they are subject to the national credit system.
Students coming from universities other than İKÜ
The students who are coming from other universities to register in the İKÜ Summer Term must apply to the Directorate of Student Affairs with the following documents.
Documents needed for registration
- Up-to-date Student Certificate
- Approval/decision from the university that they are registered in
- Photocopy of their National ID
- Pre-application obtained from the Summer Term Coordinator of the relevant Faculty/Vocational School at our university
|Summer Education Application Form for Students from Other Higher Education Institutions||TR||ENG|
The students who are registered in our summer term, but are not enrolled in our university receive a document stating the codes, names, weekly course load (theoretical/practical/laboratory), ECTS credits and the grade of the courses that they have taken.
Summer Term within the Foreign Language Department
- The students who fail the Foreign Language Proficiency Exam, which is carried out at the end of each term in the Preparation Year, may continue their studies in the summer term.
- The students that are not registered at our university may also enroll in the foreign language education in the summer term.
- The Foreign Language Proficiency Exam at the end of the summer term may only be taken by the students who continued their studies in the summer term.
- The minimum weekly course load should be 30 hours in the foreign language program.
Summer Term Calendar:
|Bachelor’s Degree – Associate Degree||
04 – 08 June 2018 (Until 18.00)
|Foreign Language Preparation|
|Course Add-Drop||17 - 18 June 2019|
|Course Add-Drop Advisor Approval Last Day||19 June 2019|
Summer Term Period
|Bachelor’s Degree – Associate Degree||
17 June 2019 – 2 August 2019
|Foreign Language Preparation|
|Bachelor’s Degree – Associate Degree||03 – 09 August 2019|
|Foreign Language Preparation||
05 August 2019
|Last day of updating the grades on the ÖBYS system||15 August 2019|
|Announcement of the Grades||16 August 2019(09.00 am)|
|Grade objection||19 – 20 August 2019|
|Announcement of the Objection Results||20 – 23 August 2019|
|Last Course Exam||06 September 2019|
The courses that are planned to be opened by all programs and departments of the University in Summer Education will be entered into ÖBYS (Student Information Management System: ORİON Automation) between 27 May and 31 May 2019 (until 18:00).
Definete Opening of the Courses
- In order to open a course that is planned to be opened in summer education, the number of students that must be registered to that course is at least five (5).
- This requirement does not apply to the students who are in the last two semesters of their associate and undergraduate program periods (third and fourth semesters for associate degree, seventh and eighth semesters for undergraduate).
- In all programs and departments of the university, the courses opened in 2018-19 Summer Education until June 14, 2019 (Friday) at 18:00 are determined and announced by determining the number of students and related faculty members.
Starting on June 17th, 2019, the İKÜ students may register for courses in the Summer Term with the approval of the Faculty/Vocational School Coordinator and the Academic counselor, whereas the students coming from outside of İKÜ may register with the approval of the Faculty/Vocational School Coordinator and the Directorate of Student Affairs (ÖİDB).
Withdrawal or Course Cancellation:
- If a student withdraws from a course for any reason before June 19th, 2019, their tuition is partially refunded. There’s a one hour cut in the refund for each course.
- As of June 19th, 2019:
- If a course has been opened, the student may not drop the course. There’s no refund.
- Students may not withdraw from the Summer Term for the English Preparation Course. There’s no refund.
- If a course could not be opened due to a failure in meeting the conditions, the tuition is fully refunded. The refund procedure is carried out by the Directorate of Financial Affairs between July 22rd-26th, 2019.
- For English Preparation Year: If a student withdraws from the Summer Term for any reason before June 19th, 2019, their English Preparation tuition is refunded with a 20% cut.
Students can register to the courses which are opened in summer education as of 17 June 2019 (Monday):
- For the students of IKU, they can register via Advisor approval,
- For the students of other institutions, they can register via ÖİDB approval.
Course Sharing: It involves an instructor co-teaching a course with another instructor in the Summer Term. The course sharing information and ratio are submitted to the Summer Term Coordinators of the Faculty/Vocational School/Department until the end of working hours on Wednesday August 15th, 2019.
After the curriculum of a course is announced and the course is open for certain, the course needs to take place in the announced place at the announced time and it has to be taught by the announced instructor(s). An instructor is only able to teach a conflicting course if they are sharing the course with someone else.
- Payment via Bank (in Cash); may be paid in three equal installments,
- Payment by Credit Card; may be paid in three equal installments.